My Brother Sam is Dead

I picked this book up because it is about the war in Redding/Ridgefield, which is near my house here. There is a tavern (now a museum) about 2 miles away that still has a revolutionary war canon ball (british) lodged in a post. I'll be visiting there to see that...in the spring. So I read this book to learn more about the goings on around here in the past.
This book started with one huge strike against it---the title. Dumbest title I've read yet. It got a Newberry honor of some sort. Not completely sure why. It was a slow book. I guess in the end the moral of the story--war is crap no matter which side you're on--was what won the award. And yes, Sam is dead.
Well, I've done my local historical duty and read it. It wasn't horrible, but certainly not one I want to own. If we stay here for a long time I'll make my kids do their duty and read it too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment