Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Book- Island of Saints

Island of Saints: a story of the one principle that frees the human spirit.
by Andy Andrews

Book #1 of the new year! I finally read Island of Saints. It was a book club selection last year, but with only 2 copies in the library system it was hard to get a hold of.


Summary: Andy Andrews (author) finds some World War 2 memoralbilia buried in his back yard, from the German side. He sets about trying to find out where they came from and why they're in his back yard. This is the story of that discovery.


My thoughts: I liked the story and was interested in finding out about the person/story behind the German medals and photos. It has a good message in it about 'forgiveness' too, but the way in which the message was delivered (a series of soliloquies) was too outright preachy. I wish it was more subtle or discovered or learned instead of thrown in my face. Still a good message that every one should understand and believe.
And I'm a bit naive, because I'm still not sure if this was based on a true story, or if the author is just a good storyteller.

No comments: