Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Books

My baby will be 6 months old on Friday, and I finally read a book. Two actually!

The first one was a book club selection, "Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey". And while I didn't go to the book club, I love watching Downton Abbey on PBS so the book really appealed to me.
It's non-fiction, and reads like one. These are obviously harder for me to get through than fiction, but it was good. I was very interested in the role that Highclere played in WWI and the discovery of King Tut! There were so many parallels between the Highclere Castle and Downton Abbey, including the characters.
If you like Downton Abbey, no, if you LOVE Downton Abbey then you'll enjoy this book.



Next I read this book by Amy Julia Becker, "A good and perfect gift: faith, expectations, and a little girl named Penny." The family welcomes their first baby into their family, and are confronted with the information that she has Down Syndrome. A true account by the mother of Penny.
There's a lot of good in this book. I learned. I fell in love with Penny.
Like Amy Julia who learned to not compare her child or base how she felt about Penny on her accomplishments, or her delays, I feel recommited to love my children for who they are.







No comments: