Monday, September 10, 2012

Green Gables Shore

On the north center shore (Green Gables Shore) of the island is the Cavendish.  This is where the Green Gables home is that Lucy Maud Montgomery based her book on.

Tidbits: Lucy's mother got Tuberculosis and died when Lucy was 21 months old.  Her father couldn't take care of her, so her grandparents (the MacNeills) did.  Her cousins lived in the "Green Gables" house, and inspired the home in her book.  She loved Cavendish and it broke her heart to eventually leave.  Her Anne book was rejected 4 times, and when she came back to it long after and tried one more time it was published.  She married when she was 31.  Her husband was a pastor.  They lived apart engaged for about 5 years.  Lucy's grandfather had died and he knew she couldn't leave her grandmother alone, so he waited.  They finally married and left the island after her grandmother's death. 


The recreated Green Gables of Lucy's childhood.  I thought it was the same house as the movie, but once I got over the mild disappointment that they were not the same, it was fun to see, and it was more authentic.





This Green Gables also had a "haunted wood" and a "lover's lane".  Here are the kids on the Lover's Lane trail.


I'll spare this post the rest of the pictures, just know I took nearly 1000 pictures on our 8 days trip.

We did not go to Avonlea village.  It's a little village they built that you pay $19 a person to go to and stroll through as if it was Avonlea.  There are actors to play the parts of Anne and everyone in Avonlea. 
None of us were fanatic enough enough to pay the money, so we didn't go, and I don't regret it.

Next we went to Prince Edward Island National Park Cavendish.  Luckily tourist season is over and we didn't have to pay to enter.  Immediately upon entering we were greeted by a family of 4-5 foxes.  Despite the signs not to feed the animals, it was obvious by their beggar behavior that many people do.

This one was right by my window staring at me.  I got nervous that he might jump in my window, so I rolled it up until he left.


Red sand cliffs and beaches of PEI.


 The dunes.
 An old lobster trap.  I wonder if it was planted there.  It kind of looks too perfectly quaint to be coincidence.  But then again, most of the island was perfectly quaint.

 My little Anne.  Just kidding.


Lucy Maud Montgomery's birthplace house.  We snapped a picture and kept driving.


We were headed to a lighthouse on Cape Tryon.  We traveled many of these red roads on the island.


Cape Tryon lighthouse on Green Gables Shore.

The lighthouse overlooks the red cliffs.


Now THIS lighthouse just east of the Cape Tryon lighthouse WAS on the Anne of Green Gables movies.  I was glad we found it! 





Kent was a good sport to indulge my PEI dream.


Colorful fishing wharf off Hoffsteter's viewpoint.



It was a good Anne day.  And I didn't pick up one cheesy Anne souvenir!

No comments: