Saturday, September 10, 2011

Orange Crush

Sawyer started his flag football season today. They call themselves the "Orange Crush"! We were at the field for over 2 hours since they had their first practice before the game as well.
While Sawyer was practicing, I was watching another two teams playing their little 6-8 year old game. One of the coaches was a big, burly, "New York" sounding crazy man. He was yelling at the kids and quite a few little guys slumped off the field feeling pretty low. I was getting really nervous about letting Sawyer do football. I was worried that maybe this community puts a little more pressure on these football kids than I want. I was getting really angry at this coach and it wasn't even my kid!
Luckily, our coaches were great with our team, as were the coaches on the team we played against. They taught the kids some plays to run and helped them learn about football. Sawyer had a great time and that's what's important. I was so relieved to be on this team with good coaches.

It was a hot day in the sun. 82 degrees plus insane humidity equals some tired little bodies.

They practiced two different plays today. One with a hand off to the runner up the left, and one with a hand off to the runner up the right (I have no idea if those are real football terms). Here is Sawyer's turn to run the ball. The quarterback didn't quite hand it off though, he kind of tossed it which threw Sawyer for a loop and the ball tumbled to the ground. Sawyer was disappointed in himself saying he didn't get to run with the ball because he messed up. I told him the boy accidentally tossed the ball instead of handing it off and it was just a mistake and he felt better after that.

Every time Sawyer had to take a turn on the sideline he was anxious to get back in the game.

This kid loves sports! I am glad we are on a good team that will give him a positive experience.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Love, love, love getting to see a bit of your life through blogging. Love, love, love the journaling, reading your thoughts and your feelings. Keep it up Heather! PS--There is a house that just went on the market in the neighborhood! :) Misty