Today was party day for McKinley. We did an art party. When the girls arrived they got do draw their self-portrait. Then we moved on to acrylic painting on some canvas boards. They were to mimic the Georgia O'Keefe style of painting giant flowers. In between layers we did a bubble art project. Then back to their paintings to finish off their flowers. Then they got to take off their art "smocks", which were just white t-shirts and tie die them. After that they made their own individual pizzas and made bracelets. A quick birthday song and cake cutting to go with their pizza, since there was only 20 minutes left before the parents arrived. A couple of kids did the pictionary game for a few minutes, then they wanted to open presents...so we did. She got a lot of fun crafty stuff, some books, and some earrings. She had a good time. 2 and a half hours with six 8 year-olds was more exhausting than I anticipated. I couldn't help but think back to my 8th birthday party with 12+ girls. I never appreciated the work that must have gone into that party as much as I did today. I guess it's the cycle of life and one day McKinley will understand the work it takes when she has her own kid's parties.Kent thankfully took the boys out to Chuck E. Cheese's during the party so I could have one (or two) less things to worry about.
I made the currently popular rainbow cake and the girls loved it, and so did a couple of parents. We decorated with balloons and some tissue pom-poms a la Martha Stewart. Now I can go to bed and sleep for a few days.
5 comments:
That cake is awesome. There is no way I could pull that off!
Sounds like it was a great day for McKinley. The caked looked wonderful. You should come take care of our party for Brittany. You have plenty of time to rest up...its not until January.
Amazing cake and decorations. You are simply the best mom Heather!
Fun party! Love the cake. Happy
8th birthday McKinley!
You are so talented Heather. I hope your family appreciates it. You really seem to enjoy life. I love it. Hope is all going well for your wonderful family.
Love,
Aunt Ruthie
Post a Comment