Anywho, here are the last 3 books I've read.
The Grimm Legacy
by Polly Shulman
About teens who work in a special library where there's a "Grimm" section with magical fairy tale items. Of course antics ensue. It was alright. I'm sure it goes with the Percy Jackson genre, but a little less interesting to me. I would recommend it to pre-tweens and tweens.

Number the Stars
by Lois Lowry
The story of a little girl and her Jewish friend in WWII Denmark. Another interesting perspective on the war. Denmark had a very successful safe people smuggling rate. I know we are in an economic downturn, but it is nothing compared to what they went through some 50 years ago. I can't even imagine rationing food, shoes, and electricity. We really don't have it that bad after all.
Year of Wonders
by Geraldine Brooks
Based on a true Plague town that quarantined itself to prevent the spread of the disease. This is the fictionalized story of what it may have been like. I liked reading about the plague and how it might have been like for those poor people. The heroine of the story Anna, starts out as a mindless waif and turns out to be a modern minded strong woman. I felt it may have been a bit out of context for the days and just bent to form to modern times idea of what a woman should be and what she should want for herself. Maybe there were truly people like her, but it felt very modernized and I wished it would have been truer to the period in that regard. I was also discombobulated when someone who was kind and good throughout was vilified in the last 20 pages and left for naught. It was disappointing. In all a good story about the Plague life and the way it changed life as they knew it.
No comments:
Post a Comment