Monday, April 13, 2009

The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak
Summary: A story narrated by Death himself, set in the height of Nazi Germany about a young German girl (non-Nazi and non-Jew) and interwoven with among other things an accordionist, a shrew, a Jew, love and hope.

My thoughts: I liked the book. It took a while for me to get into the story and actually care about the characters I was reading about, but after I did I really enjoyed it. I was glad that not a lot of the horrors of the holocaust were described in detail (I think people need to know about that, but since I already do I was glad not to have to go there again in this book). I especially liked the little relationships that sprung up in the middle of that terrible time and the hope that it gives that even in the bad times life goes on and so does love. I'm glad I read it. I would tweak the ending a little though.

No comments: