Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The latest storm

Gosh this winter is getting really old. I hope spring comes early this year. Yesterday and today are snow days for the kids again. School is scheduled until June 21 now.
Yesterday we got about 2 inches of snow. Today the freezing rain is here.
The ice dam effect in our ceiling has started up again. I am worried the roof might give out. There is a very thick layer of ice (as you can see) that is about 8 inches deep, with 1.5-3 feet of snow on top.
Here is a giant icicle following the gutters from roof line to roof line (over 8 ft long).
The branches look really pretty encircled with ice...
but they are heavy now and sagging. We have a few downed branches.
The electricity has flicked a couple times, but so far we are lucky and still have electricity, especially since the power lines are strung through the tree branches.



It's hard to get a good perspective on this shot, but the branches are sagging down into the driveway so they hit our heads whereas before they were well above the trucks clearance. The driveway has a nice frozen layer on top if you can tell.

Crossing our fingers that this old roof holds out and doesn't smash my babies.
Also crossing my fingers that kids will go back to school soon. Now is the time it would be nice to have close neighbors. There are no friends to keep us occupied and the kids (especially one specific little girl) expect me to be their cruise director and find fun and interactive things for them to do all day. I'm done with winter!!!

4 comments:

Bowers Family said...

I agree that the ice around the branches do look pretty, but I can guess that you sure are tired of all that snow. I hope your roof is ok too. Does Kents work have any suggestions? That is too bad that all the snow days have gone so far into the summer. Hang in there..according to the groundhog we are supposed to have an early spring.

hermansenhello said...

Wow, I thought it was cold and snowy here! Good luck with the roof and about that cruise director comment....if you weren't such a fun mom, you wouldn't have to worry about them expecting entertainment out of you!!!! Just saying, you make the rest of us look bad. :)

James and Michelle's Family said...

So sad! Pretty soon you'll be back on year-round school. You just don't get to choose your track. Makes it harder for you to come visit us this summer :-)

Debbie said...

I am worried about your 8" of ice on your roof! Maybe Kent can go throw some salt on it, haha?! It's almost like you are on year round school after all.