Monday, February 8, 2010

I am the Messenger

Finished this in St. George last week.

I am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak

It won the Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature.

Summary: A 19 year old cab driver in Australia who's going nowhere and doing nothing in his life stands up to a robber at a bank robbery. Then one day he receives a playing card (an ace of diamonds) anonymously with three addresses on it. He tries to figure it out and do what he is supposed to do and be.

My thoughts: I liked the book, but it had a lot of crass language in it. The characters are Australian lower class young adults and they talk like it. I liked that this book makes you think about the assumptions you make about people and their lives.

My favorite lines from the book:

"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are"

No comments: